The finals for UK GradResearch Live! were held on Tuesday, Oct. 30 in Worsham Cinema of the Gatton Student Center followed by a reception where we announced the winners below. Congratulations to all!
Anna Bedsole, a doctoral candidate in English (pictured above), won first place in the Three Minute Thesis category with her presentation, Gothic Heroines and #MeToo.
Below are the 2018 winners of UK GradResearch Live!
The finals were held in Worsham Cinema on Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
Three Minute Thesis Winners:
First Place - Anna Bedsole, Gothic Heroines and #MeToo
Second Place - Daniel Chavez, Hypothetical Bias: Do Real Questions Give Real Answers?
Third Place - Melissa Cantor, The Sick Calf Detector
People's Choice Award - Melissa Cantor, The Sick Calf Detector
Graduate Research Showcase Winners:
People's Choice, First Place - Marcus T. Epps, Unlikely Motivators in Education: Equipping Black Males to Succeed in Formal Education
People's Choice, Second Place - Chi Peng, Are Anti-HIV Drugs Affecting Platelet Function?
Postdoctoral Research Showcase Winners:
People's Choice, First Place - Jong Hyun Kim, Looking for Potent Anticancer Drug
People's Choice, Second Place - Kathryn Everson, Systematics and Species Discovery in Madagascar's Tenrecs
Congratulations to all of our winners! See all 24 finalists below:
Graduate Research Showcase
- Marcus Epps | Doctoral student in Educational, School, & Counseling Psychology - "Unlikely Motivators in Formal Settings: Equipping Black Males to Succeed in Formal Settings"
- Kimberly Glanzman | Master's student in Creative Writing - "Misrepresentation Matters: How Speculative Writing Impacts the Real World"
- Divakar Karanth | Master's student in Dentistry - "3D Printed Resorbable Scaffold for Bone Regeneration"
- Sara McCurry | Doctoral student in Educational, School, & Counseling Psychology - "Increasing Well-Being in Transgender Kentuckians by Strengthening Positive Transgender Identity"
- Chi Peng | Doctoral student in Clinical & Translational Science - "Are Anti-HIV Drugs Affecting Platelet Function?"
- Matthew Turner | Doctoral student in Computer Science - "Multi-Layered Clouds and Quality of Service"
- Cara Worick | Doctoral student in Education, School, & Counseling Psychology - "The Role of Motivation and Agency in Self-Control and Self-Regulation for Learning"
- Anna Bedsole | Doctoral student in English - "Gothic Heroines and #MeToo"
- Melissa Cantor | Doctoral student in Animal & Food Sciences - "The Sick Calf Detector"
- Daniel Chavez | Doctoral student in Business Administration - "Hypothetical Bias: Do Real Questions Give Real Answers?"
- Xueting Deng | Doctoral student in Agricultural Economics - "Excise Tax: A Signal to Make Vaping Uncool"
- Aida Javidan | Doctoral student in Nutritional Sciences - "Autophagy, Body's Garbage Recycling: Consequences of Its Malfunction"
- Gabrielle Keb | Doctoral student in Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics - "What Do Koalas and Your College Roommate Have in Common?"
- Leslie Malland | Doctoral student in English - "The Rhetoric of Death and Its Culture in Early Modern English Literature"
- Kevin Richardson | Master's student in Mechanical Engineering - "Revolutionizing Physical Therapy: A Biomechanics-Based Algorithm for Customized Orthotics"
- Rachel Sieg | Doctoral student in Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry - "Hook, Line, and Sinker: Zebrafish as a Model to Understand Mechanisms of Leukemia"
- Valerie Stevens | Doctoral student in English - "Nineteenth-Century Pets and Women's Choice"
- Katherine Toran | Doctoral student in Economics - "Why Economists are Banned from Philosophy"
- Shannon Wood | Master's student in Mechanical Engineering - "Horses Shouldn't Do Somersaults: Preventing Rotational Falls in Eventing Cross Country"
Postdoctoral Research Showcase
- Mohamed Abo-Aly | Postdoctoral scholar or fellow in Medical Sciences - "Cangrelor (Anti-Platelet Drug) Reduce Platelet Activity and Inflammation After Heart Attack"
- Kathryn Everson | Postdoctoral scholar or fellow in Biology - "Systematics and Species Discovery in Madagascar's Tenrecs"
- Jong Hyun Kim | Postdoctoral scholar or fellow in Chemistry - "Gold-Phosphine Complex as Potent Anticancer Agent"
- Michelle Pitts | Postdoctoral scholar or fellow in Pharmaceutical Sciences - "Changing How the Immune System Responds to Cardiovascular Disease"
- Victoria Sherif | Postdoctoral scholar or fellow in Educational Leadership - "Youth Leaders: We Know, We Do"
The GradResearch Live! Finale event is brought to you by: