Transitioning to the first year of graduate school – whether as a master's or doctoral student – can lead to feelings of uncertainty and anxiety, no matter if you are coming directly from your undergraduate degree or have been out for many years. The UK Graduate School wants you not only to survive your first year, but to thrive.
With this mission in mind, the Office of Graduate Student Professional Enhancement is excited to sponsor the New Graduate Student Orientation and Resource Fair on Wednesday, Aug. 21, from 8:00 a.m. until approximately 2:30 in the Gatton Student Center (beginning in Worsham Cinema and transitioning at lunch to Ballrooms A & B). A light breakfast and lunch are provided.
The orientation is designed to provide new graduate students with the information, diverse perspectives, and resources needed to begin a pathway to success. Graduate students can expect to
· Hear tips from faculty on navigating the advisor-advisee relationship;
· Learn ways to manage anxiety, stress, and imposter syndrome;
· Learn about various professional enhancement opportunities for academic success and diverse careers;
· Hear advice from experienced graduate students on making the most of year one and beyond; and
· Meet key people who support graduate students in offices around campus and in the Lexington community.